Transfer Information

Section Menu


Success starts here!


Make College Affordable

Learn More

Make A Smooth Transition to GCC


Transfer Information

GCC will accept credit transfer for all courses successfully completed at any college or university in the United States which is accredited by its regional accrediting body, affiliated accrediting body, the Distance Education Council, or any accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education (e.g. MSCHE, NEASC-CIHE, NEASC-CTCI, NCA-HLC, NWCCU, SACS, WASC-ACCJC, WASC-ACSCU, or the DETC) or which is recognized and approved by the Department of Education or Ministry of Education in a foreign country. Transfer credit is given for courses taken at another college or similar institution that closely correspond to those offered at GCC. When transfer credit is granted for a particular course, the requirements for the course have been successfully met (only courses with a minimum grade of “C” are considered for transfer), and credit is indicated on the student’s transcript. No letter grade is provided. Transfer credit will only be considered if:

  • Official transcripts are received directly from the institution where the credits were earned or can be hand-delivered by the student provided the transcripts are in their original sealed envelope.
  • The course is at the postsecondary level; with GCC, this means the course is at the 100 level or above and receives undergraduate level credit.
  • Credits earned outside of GCC are equal to or greater than the credits to be received from GCC.
  • The student has earned a “C” grade or higher (or equivalent).
  • The course is not a credit awarded for life experience.

Full English translations of course descriptions, as well as an approved course by course evaluation, are required for any student seeking to receive transfer credit from foreign institutions. Program faculty or Department Chair will determine whether any transfer course does or does not fulfill any program requirement, except where there is clear equivalence between the transfer course and the GCC course, in which case the Registrar makes the decision. Transfer students will be advised to contact the Department Chair of their program for evaluation of any course that does not transfer as equivalent to a GCC course but which the student believes should satisfy a program requirement. 

The transfer evaluation provided to the student at the beginning of the student’s matriculation at GCC will be entered into the student’s permanent record unless specific errors are found (e.g. misidentifying the number of credits for a course or giving a student credit for a course more than once) or the student requests and is granted a modification by the Dean and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

It is the student's responsibility to have transcripts of all previous work sent to the Admissions & Registration Office.

Official transcripts are required for the following:


  •  To declare into a program of study
  • To validate prerequisites completed
  • To receive credit for courses completed at another institution
  • Students receiving financial aid or veteran’s benefits must have transcripts on file.

Guidelines for submitting transcripts:
  • Students are responsible for requesting official transcripts from each institution attended as well as providing military transcripts through Joint Services Transcript System (JST), if applicable.
  • Official transcripts must be received in the original, sealed envelope from the college or university.
  • Electronic transcripts are accepted provided they are received from a credible source (Parchment, E-script, National Student Clearinghouse, etc.), scanned and emailed transcripts are not acceptable. 
  • Opened, faxed, or scanned and emailed transcripts will not be considered official.

Certified evaluation of foreign transcripts (if applicable):

If transcripts are not from a college or university accredited by a US regional or national accrediting agency (WASC, SACS, etc.) or not in English, students must submit, with their Application for Admission, a certified evaluation of foreign transcript in U.S. equivalencies provided by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved member ( or Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE) member ( A course-by-course evaluation is recommended for post-secondary transcripts if the student would like a transfer credit evaluation.

Transcripts should be submitted to the Admissions & Registration Office:

Guam Community College
Attn: Admissions & Registration
P.O. Box 23069
Barrigada, Guam 96921

Students who submit transcripts from other post-secondary institutions or equivalent will have their coursework evaluated for potential transfer credit. Please note that all accepted transfer coursework may not be applied to a specific program of study.